The Milton Public Library
The Milton Public Library seeks a Director.
A four-year college degree is required.
• Demonstrate a leadership background.
• Possess a willingness to work with a team and volunteers.
• Be able to work with the pubic.
• Experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
• Minimum 2 years of grant writing experience required.
• Fundraising experience is preferred.
• Library experience or library science credits are helpful.
This position is full time, salaried, 40 hours a week with Saturdays as required. To apply please email a letter of application and references to: email@example.com
Library Director – Position Description
The Director is responsible for all aspects of the library operations and functions.
- Advocating for the library at all times.
- Meeting requirements of the Library Board.
- Meeting requirements of the community.
- Meeting requirements of the staff.
- Meeting requirements of local and state government.
- Organize and plan agendas for the board meeting, consulting with the President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Distribute agendas and all needed support materials and notify Board members of all meetings.
- Attend all Board or committee meetings.
- Prepare regular weekly or bi-weekly reports apprising the Board of significant activities, events, problems and concerns.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of library services in relation to the needs of the community.
- Evaluate future needs for library services and resources to meet those needs.
- Evaluate and administer library programs for adults, youth and children’s services at the library.
- Help the Board prepare long-term plans for the library.
- Help the Board to prepare an annual budget for consideration and adoption.
- Supervise, with assistance of the Board, expenditures of the library funds.
- Help prepare bills for approval by the Board for and in between monthly Board meetings.
- Help prepare monthly and yearly financial reports.
- With assistance from the Board, attend Township and Borough meetings once a quarter to keep the Townships and Borough apprised as to the functions of the library.
- Prepare an annual review of all library insurance policies.
- Classification of staff positions and periodic revision of job descriptions.
- Scheduling, organizing and supervising work operations.
- Responsible for employee hiring, firing and promotions.
- Establishment of work rules and regulations.
- Training and professional development of employees
- Conduct monthly staff meetings to continue developing teamwork and planning for library programs and functions
- Foster a positive work environment
- Complete yearly job evaluations for all staff members
Public and Patron Relations:
- Advocate for and promote the library.
- Work with staff, board volunteers, Friends and library patrons as well as educational and literacy organizations.
- Attend all library functions whenever possible by careful planning of library and personal calendar.
- Work to establish and maintain effective working relationships with schools, agencies, civic and community groups, the public and news media.
- Work to establish effective communication through news releases, email, or print newsletters, our website and Facebook.
- Represent the library and speak before community, civic and other groups regarding the objectives and activities of the library.
- Participate as a member of civic and service organizations.
- Monitor public perception of the library and its services.
- Effectively address patron complaints and public criticism of the library.
- Supervise selection, acquisition and processing of library materials.
- Supervise classification and weeding.
- Supervise the recovery of fines and overdue materials.
- Supervise housekeeping, maintenance and repair of building and grounds
- Supervise all recycling
- Monitor the use and maintenance of all equipment
- Keep current in library trends.
- Participate in and maintain membership in state and national library organizations.
- Network with regional libraries.
- Help plan and participate in all fundraising drives.
- Work with the Board and Friends to create and implement fundraising strategies.
- Help with solicitations to community leaders and business for private and corporate donations.
- Work with Board members to lead and participate in grant writing.
About the Library
Milton Public Library
Milton, PA 17847
Phone – 570.742.7111
Fax – 570.742.7137
© 2018 The Milton Public Library. All rights reserved.